Looking around the city today, it is hard to believe that Spring Hill was once an unsettled wilderness. Tribes of the Choctaw, Cherokee, Chickasaw, Creek and Shawnee all hunted the beautiful countryside.
In the early 1800’s, land was granted to three Revolutionary War soldiers, Major George Doherty, John Hardin and Major Ezekiel Polk. The three land grants came to a point near the current intersections of Duplex Road, Old Military Road and U.S. Highway 31. This regional settlement came to be what is now present day Spring Hill.
The first settlers arrived in 1808 and Albert Russell was credited with being the first to clear his land and build a home. He built a log cabin on a hill above the local spring and named his home Anne’s Bower, which later became known as Old Tanyard Spring. By 1809, others began to settle here and by 1810 settlers petitioned the Maury County Court for a road from Columbia the local settlement’s cotton gin.
Many of the original settlers were from cultured families with many social ties to the eastern United States. As such, schools and churches were considered a priority among the settlers. In 1816, William Williford began a co-ed school. James Peters, a Methodist preacher built a log church in 1819 and people would travel from miles away to attend the services. Spring Hill has quickly and efficiently developed both residentially and commercially to accommodate the growing needs of its’ residents. Whether you’re looking to relocate the family, retire or start your own business, Spring Hill is the perfect place to call home.
In 1824, Henry Wade purchased the Tanyard Spring land, formerly owned by Albert Russell, with a vision of creating a town. He surveyed the land and began to sell lots along what is today Main Street or U.S. Highway 31. The town officially needed a name and because so many had become accustomed to transporting water over the hill from the Spring, the town became Spring Hill in 1825.
On November 29, 1864 Federal and Confederate forces converged on the town of Spring Hill.
The Federal Army Units from Ohio, Illinois, Michigan and Indiana fought the Confederate troops of Tennessee commanded by Hood, Forrest, Cleburne and Brown. Over 30,000 fought throughout the day and an estimated 850 Confederate and Union soldiers were killed in the town of Spring Hill that day.